You’ve probably heard of Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and you may have even employed it for your company. But, if you’re still trying to figure out how to draw local consumers to your webpage, then local SEO is a tool you should have in your arsenal.
Local SEO is much like traditional SEO, but it focuses on attracting local consumers specifically, in an effort to ensure that your business shows up at the top of the search results when someone searches for products or services you offer in your area. 80% of local search efforts convert. This statistic makes it essential to use local SEO for your business to focus on local traffic.
There are many things to know about both traditional and local SEO and how to use them. Today, we will dive into everything you need to know about local SEO and how you can make the most of it.
Local SEO Defined
Local SEO involves optimizing your company’s website to ensure people who live in your area can find your website when searching for related keywords. Local SEO is typically used by companies like shops and offices that rely on foot traffic into their physical location.
The Importance of Local SEO For Big and Small Businesses
If you’re a business that wants to attract local consumers, then local SEO is essential for your business. Your website needs to be optimized so your potential customers can find your location and travel to your business.
If you run an e-commerce-only store, you’re likely not to be worried much about focusing on local customers. If you own a physical store where consumers can come in and buy products, then you obviously want to take advantage of local SEO to make sure you’re reaching and attracting as many local consumers as possible.
If you own a small business, then you know the importance of building relationships with your consumers. Word-of-mouth is one of the oldest forms of advertising, but even in small areas, people are primarily using Google to find products and services they want. This means it’s more important than ever to foster trust online through having a great website, an established presence on Google My Business, and a presence on the SERPs via local SEO.
How Can You Optimize Your Site to Appear in Search Engines?
If you have an address for your business, it’s easy to find in local searches. If you don’t have a street address, you can still add content about your area, but it could cause the search results to include unrelated content.
Here are some ways to optimize your website to appear in local searches.
- List your street address. Add certain tags to the code containing your address on your website. You can use the Yoast plug-in to do so.
- Get a Google My Business listing. Upload your photos and get verified. This will also help you obtain customer reviews. Ensure that your address, name, and phone number are identical to the ones on your website.
- List your address on your Facebook page. Facebook pages are a free service through the popular social networking company — Facebook. Pages allow you a place to put your business information, including your address.
- List your address to local directories. Include your name and phone number, as well as any other contact details. Clean up old address information that might still be lingering on the internet. This will prevent confusion and prevent your rankings from decreasing.
- Practice networking. Request that other companies that are similar to your business swap link to your websites.
- Keep track of your mentions. Check to see if your company is mentioned on social media and interact with them. Search engines will monitor whether your business feedback is negative or positive and rank you based on that information.
- Write about your location. Include your city or region in your content, not just in your address footer. Write about why you chose your location and how you can benefit your region with your expertise.
Local SEO Marketing and Local SEO Citations
Google My Business listings, mentions on social media, quality websites, keeping your information consistent (including your name, address, and phone number) are all tools you can use to keep your business information listed and accessible online.
Local SEO citations are mentions of your company information (name, address, and phone number) on the internet. They show on social media and local business directories, such as Yelp. The more citations you have, the more visible your business is online. Your search engine rankings will likely be higher as well.
You Don’t Have to Be An SEO Wiz. We Can Help.
At Stoute Web Solutions, we do not sell marketing. We promote growth. Most agencies prioritize foosball tables and downtown views over results and action.
We are not that agency.
Sure, we like to have fun. And we do! But we never put our Ping-Pong skills ahead of the people who keep us in business: our clients.
Our decisions impact thousands of businesses around the world. More importantly, there are real people counting on us to grow their business. We’ve been providing a wide range of services to clients from different sectors, which include Website Design & Development, Website Hosting, AdWords Management, SEO, and PPC Campaign Management right here in Portland.
It is a responsibility and a privilege we take seriously.
Find out how we can be an advocate for your business.