Stoute Web Solutions’ Acceptable Use Policy is intended to help enhance the use of the Internet by preventing unacceptable use. All users of Stoute Web Solutions’ Internet services (the “Services”) – those who access some of our Services but do not have accounts (“Visitors”) as well as those who pay a monthly service fee to subscribe to the Services (“Clients”) – must comply with this Acceptable Use Policy. We support the free flow of information and ideas over the Internet and do not actively monitor use of the Services under normal circumstances. Similarly, we do not exercise editorial control over the content of any Web site, electronic mail transmission, news group, or other material created or accessible over or through the Services, except for certain proprietary websites. However, in accordance with our Terms of Service Agreement, we may remove any materials that, in our sole discretion, may be illegal, may subject us to liability, or which may violate this Acceptable Use Policy. Stoute Web Solutions may cooperate with legal authorities and/or third parties in the investigation of any suspected or alleged crime or civil wrong. Your violation of this Acceptable Use Policy may result in the suspension or termination of either your access to the Services and/or your Stoute Web Solutions account or other actions as detailed in Section 3. This Acceptable Use Policy should be read in conjunction with, and is part and parcel of, our Terms of Service Agreement and other policies. By using our web hosting services, you agree to comply with our Acceptable Use Policy.
- Violations of Stoute Web Solutions’ Acceptable Use Policy
The following constitute violations of this Acceptable Use Policy:
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1996 (DMCA). Using the Services to host, promote, or sell any content (by email, uploading, posting, or otherwise) that violates copyright-protected work under DMCA laws.
- Illegal use. Using the Services to transmit any material (by email, uploading, posting, or otherwise) that, intentionally or unintentionally, violates any applicable local, state, or national law, or any rules or regulations promulgated thereunder.
- Harm to minors. Using the Services to harm, or attempt to harm, minors in any way.
- Threats. Using the Services to transmit any material (by email, uploading, posting, or otherwise) that threatens or encourages bodily harm or destruction of property.
- Harassment. Using the Services to transmit any material (by email, uploading, posting, or otherwise) that harasses another.
- Hate Speech, Racism, or Slurs. Attacks aimed at any race, religion, color, nationality, disability or sexual orientation are not permitted. Similarly, domain names containing profanity or slurs may not be registered through Stoute Web Solutions. We support your right to free speech, but not if doing so limits another’s rights. We also don’t care to have our brand associated with your negativity or crudeness.
- Fraudulent activity. Using the Services to making fraudulent offers to sell or buy products, items, or services or to advance any type of financial scam such as “pyramid schemes,” “ponzi schemes,” and “chain letters.”
- Forgery or impersonation. Adding, removing or modifying identifying network header information in an effort to deceive or mislead is prohibited. Attempting to impersonate any person by using forged headers or other identifying information is prohibited. The use of anonymous remailers or nicknames does not constitute impersonation. Using deliberately misleading headers (“munging” headers) in news postings in order to avoid spam e-mail address collectors is allowed.
- Unsolicited commercial email/ Unsolicited bulk email (spam). Using the Services to transmit any unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email. Activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email whether or not that email is commercial in nature, are prohibited. Bulk e-mail sent through a mail service external to our system can not contain an e-mail address or a domain name that is hosted by Stoute Web Solutions. This generally results in complaints being forwarded to our administrative staff and will be cause for immediate account termination or suspension without prior notification.
- Free Email / Free Web Hosting. Using the Services to provide (free or for sale) email accounts to anonymous third parties is not permitted, due to the risk for unauthorized behavior that may result in spam or blacklisting by ISPs.
- Unauthorized access. Using the Services to access, or to attempt to access, the accounts of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, security measures of Stoute Web Solutions’ or another entity’s computer software or hardware, electronic communications system, or telecommunications system, whether or not the intrusion results in the corruption or loss of data.
- BitTorrent, use of Torrent files, synchronizing, uploading or downloading files via BitTorrent networks and applications is strictly forbidden throughout Stoute Web Solutions’ network. Users determined to be hosting or sharing Torrent files will be immediately suspended or terminated off the network and their information may be provided to copyright complainants.
- Distributing viruses to or from Stoute Web Solutions systems, or hosting compromised (hacked) scripts or outdated applications with known vulnerabilities (such as old WordPress installations) that result in spam being relayed through the account and/or server, or which contain phishing schemes and content. Any type of scripting deemed to be compromised or hacked may result in the site being shut down immediately and without advance warning.
- Adult Content. Pornography is prohibited.
- Collection of personal data. Using the Services to collect, or attempt to collect, personal information about third parties without their knowledge or consent.
- Reselling the services. Reselling the Services without Stoute Web Solutions’ authorization.
- CGI Scripts. For reasons of security, CGI script sharing with domains not hosted by Stoute Web Solutions is prohibited. Any CGI scripts deemed to be adversely affecting the server performance or the network integrity may be shut down without prior notice and the owner will be contacted to alleviate the situation.
- Idle FTP/SFTP/SSH Sessions. For reasons of security and preventing network congestion, idle FTP, SFTP, and SSH sessions are not permitted on any shared or reseller hosting servers. “Idle” is defined as any connection in which no user activity other than keep-alive transactions are registered during a one (1) hour period. Idle connections, or connections determined to be adversely affecting the server performance or the network integrity may be shut down without prior notice and the owner will be contacted to alleviate the situation.
- Network disruptions and unfriendly activity. Using the Services for any activity which adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use Stoute Web Solutions Services or the Internet. This includes “denial of service” (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user. Interference with or disruption of other network users, network services or network equipment is prohibited. It is the Client’s responsibility to ensure that their network is configured in a secure manner. A Client may not, through action or inaction, allow others to use their network for illegal or inappropriate actions. A Client may not permit their network, through action or inaction, to be configured in such a way that gives a third party the capability to use their network in an illegal or inappropriate manner.
- Port Scans: Stoute Web Solutions security policies prohibit any use of port scanning or brute force break-in attempts on any portion of our network space, except if pre-authorized by us as part of a PCI-DSS security scan by an Approved Scanning Vendor (ASV). Under Oregon Revised Statute 164.377, any unauthorized access attempts are considered a computer crime and will be prosecuted to the greatest extent of the law.
- Live hosting of content via the user directory: Stoute Web Solutions permits the use of the user directory URL (http://hostname/~username/) strictly for testing purposes. Requests served via the user directory are not tracked in the usual manner for bandwidth and other resources uses, and as such, customers are forbidden from using this method for hosting live content. Customers found to be hosting content via the user directory will be immediately instructed to cease such activity and use their live domain instead, and will be terminated from our network unless they comply.
- Reporting Violations of Stoute Web Solutions’ Acceptable Use Policy
Stoute Web Solutions requests that anyone who believes that there is a violation of this Acceptable Use Policy direct the information to our System Abuse Department by contacting us.
If available, please provide the following information:
- The IP address used to commit the alleged violation
- The date and time of the alleged violation, including the time zone or offset from GMT
- Evidence of the alleged violation
- E-mail with full header information provides all of the above, as do syslog files. Other situations will require different methods of providing the above information.
- Enforcement of Stoute Web Solutions’ Acceptable Use Policy
Upon learning of violations of this Acceptable Use Policy, Stoute Web Solutions may take any one or more of the following actions in response to complaints or notifications:
- Issue warnings: written or verbal to cease activity or remove content.
- Removal of contents: In the case of DMCA violations, Client’s content may be removed by Stoute Web Solutions without further warning.
- Suspend the Client’s newsgroup posting privileges
- Suspend the Client’s hosting account, reseller customer accounts (if a Reseller), or VPS/Dedicated server (if a VPS/Dedicated customer)
- Terminate the Client’s account
- Bill the Client for administrative costs and/or reactivation charges
- Bring legal action to enjoin violations and/or to collect damages, if any, caused by violations.
- Revisions to This Acceptable Use Policy
By paying for our services, you agree to the terms outlined in this document.