History and Services of Naver
– Naver was founded in June 1999 as the first South Korean portal website with a self-developed search engine.
– In August 2000, Naver launched its comprehensive search service, providing various results on a single page.
– Naver introduced the Knowledge iN service in 2002, allowing users to ask questions and receive answers from other users.
– Naver launched its Webtoon service in 2004, offering webcomics created by professional artists.
– Naver expanded its services from 2005 to 2007, including multimedia search and mobile search.
– Junior Naver is a portal website for children, offering avatars, educational content, quizzes, videos, and a homework helper.
– Naver Webtoon is a webcomic platform where users can access a variety of webtoons created by professional artists.
– Naver Cafe allows users to create their own internet communities, with millions of cafes running as of May 2017.
– Naver Blog started in 2003 and had 23 million users as of April 2016.
– Naver NOW (formerly Naver TV) is a video streaming platform that provides web dramas.
– Naver Pay is a payment service offered by Naver Financial, launched in June 2021.
– It initially started as a payment service for Naver Shopping but now supports payments in over 97,000 stores.
– Naver Pay started supporting Zero Pay in-app in December 2020, a government-funded payment service.
– In May 2019, Naver started supporting overseas payment in Japan via Line Pay.
– Naver Pay allows users to make payments in stores in Japan without exchanging currencies.
– Knowledge iN is an online Q&A platform launched in October 2002.
– Users can ask questions on any subject and select among answers provided by other users.
– The platform has a database of over 200 million answers.
– Knowledge iN was launched three years before Yahoo! Answers.
– Naver’s Knowledge iN service is similar to Yahoo! Answers.
Controversies and Achievements
– In 2020, Naver introduced new restrictions on comments to protect celebrities from malicious comments.
– Naver replaced the comment box with facial emojis after criticisms of mental health implications for celebrities.
– Naver now owns Wattpad, an online book service.
– In 2020, Naver was fined 26.7 billion won by South Korea’s Fair Trade Commission for manipulating its algorithm.
– Naver’s market share in the open market sector increased from 4.97% in 2015 to 21.08% in 2018.
Additional Features and Restrictions
– Naver Encyclopedia is a professional database with over 3 million entries, produced by more than 1000 experts in various fields.
– Naver Mail is an email service available to Naver users, providing up to 5GB of storage per person.
– Naver Shopping Live is a live commerce platform operated by Naver, with the highest number of consumers in Korea.
– PRISM Live Studio is a live streaming application for mobile and PC that allows simultaneous broadcasting to multiple platforms.
– Naver’s search engine features and restrictions include its closed platform, abolishment of Real-time Search Terms and Person-related Search Terms, and the beta release of its AI chatbot service, CLOVA X, in October 2023.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2023)
Naver (Hangul: 네이버) is a South Korean online platform operated by the Naver Corporation. It was launched in 1999 as the first web portal in South Korea to develop and use its own search engine. It was also the world's first operator to introduce the comprehensive search feature, which compiles search results from various categories and presents them in a single page. Naver has since added a multitude of new services ranging from basic features such as e-mail and news to the world's first online Q&A platform Knowledge iN.
Type of site
As of September 2017, the search engine handled 74.7% of all web searches in South Korea and had 42 million enrolled users. More than 25 million Koreans have Naver as the start page on their default browser and the mobile application has 28 million daily visitors. Naver has also been referred to as 'the Google of South Korea'.
1912 NW 143rd Ave #24,
Portland, OR 97229, USA